A Healthy and Balanced Holiday
Recently, I got the chance to go away with Natalie Glaze, a fellow fitness and lifestyle blogger. We went away for 4 days to Paphos, Cyprus for some much needed Vitamin D and boy did we get it, it was an average of 32 degrees every day we were there. We flew out with Monarch Airlines and stayed at the beautiful Almyra Hotel and Spa, which is right on the coast overlooking the Sea as you can see above.
It was the most beautiful setting for our little trip. Honestly we wanted to do a lot whilst we were there, sun bathe, swim in the infinity pool (seen below) workout in the Gym, do some Yoga and get pampered in the spa, visit the local town, get Gelato ( A MUST). Oh and of course, make sure we visited each of the 5 restaurants that the Almyra had to offer. So not alot then?!
Natalie and I shared a similar ethos when it came to the holiday. We wanted to for the most part stay healthy and active, and indulge in our evening meals and local delicacies as we knew they were the parts that made the trip extra special for us.
So I thought I'd share how we maintained a healthy balance whilst we were there!
These are the little things we did each day to make sure we were keeping active and healthy. Nothing crazy or extreme, just sensible tips to help us feel our best.
1) We did workouts every day! These workouts ranged from HIIT, to Weights, to Circuits to Yoga. Now if we went away for longer than 4 days, we most likely would have had some rest days too. But because our break was short, we decided to make sure we had a sweat sesh each day. You can see one of our full body HIIT Circuit in full on my YouTuve video below.
2) We made sensible choices at the Breakfast buffet. We knew that each evening we were going to have fairly indulgent meals. So we made to get in all our essential nutrients at breakfast, turning into almost a brunch as we mostly had lighter snack-y lunches. What did I get? I went for 2 eggs wither boiled or fried, with some Chicken, Salad bits etc. Followed by a plate of the sweet stuff! A bowl of Greek Yoghurt, Bircher Muesli, Nuts and local Honey as well as a plate of fresh fruit; grapefruit, watermelon etc. So we had a high protein breakfast with carbs and fats to fuel us up for the day. This would often be after our morning workout. Before we would have a healthy snack.
Breakfast at Eauzone Cafe
3) I packed some healthy snacks. I personally hate the idea of going hungry, and so will forever have snacks in my bag to prevent this from EVER happening. For this trip I packed some Quest Bars, Bounce Balls, Nuts and Pip & Nut Sachets to keep us going. We were kindly given fruit on our arrival, and so would often snack on Apple + Nut Butter for a mid afternoon snack. We often had a bounce ball or quest bar prior to training.
4) We drank lots of water. Neither Natalie or myself are big drinkers in terms of alchohol and so we didnt actually have any drinks whilst we were there. In the heat all we really wanted was Water, and these amazing Watermelon Coolers (Fresh Watermelon, Apple Juice & Coconut Essence). So dreamy. However even these type of drinks are packed full of sugars so we would only have 1-2 a day.
5) We stayed active. Besides the gym workouts, we made sure to go for walks, swim in the pool (which was amazing relief from the Sun) and explored the local town. From the Almyra to the Harbour was about a 15-20 minute walk each way and we enjoyed getting to explore the area and see the locals.
1) We chose to indulge in our evening meals. We ate some pretty spectacular meals at each of the restaurants the Almyra had to offer. My personal highlight was the tasting menu at Ouzeri , we enjoyed the most spectacular 3 course meal of Seafood ranging from Avocado Salads to Octopus to Sea Bream and lots of the most perfect taramassalata and warm homemade Pitta bread in between. All with the most stunning sunset as our backdrop! Of course, in true Tally style I still managed room for dessert and had the most creamy Greek Yoghurt, local honey and walnuts - so simple and yet I haven't had something that delicious in a while.
2) We cooled down with the best Ice Cream EVER. My big recommendation for anyone visiting Paphos, is to head to the harbour and go to Cold Stone Creamery. This place has the most insane menu! Basically it's not your average ice cream parlour and you can create the best combos ever. I chose to have banana ice cream, which they put on a cold stone and then mix in your favourite toppings and fillings. I went for Peanut Butter (duh!) and Dark Chocolate Chips with Chocolate Sauce. They then mix it all up and pop it in a cone. Literally incredible. You MUST go to this place!
3) We chilled out and pampered ourselves in the Spa. Within the Hotel, is the Almyra Spa which is a complete sanctuary. Its modern interiors are so refreshing and were the perfect escape from the heat. I made sure to take the opportunity to have a 60 minute deep tissue massage whilst there. Because we were working out whilst there, this was the perfect treatment to help my body recover and stay on top form.
On our last day we also got to experience the Anastasia Achilleos Method which is, quite frankly, the ultimate facial experience! The treatment lasted 90 minutes, whilst we laid on a warm floating mat. It included several facial treatments and a full body massage. My skin has honestly never felt better - I felt like a new woman!! It was the perfect end to our break, as I felt that my body had been refreshed and renewed.
A note to you
So guys, if you're heading away on holiday over the next few weeks. DO NOT STRESS. Do not worry about working out every single day or making sure you maintain a super strict diet. A holiday is just that - a chance to have a break from the every day stresses of life, to escape the grind and to have some time just for YOU. Most likely you've been putting in the hours at the gym and being mindful of what you eat leading up to your holiday so now is the time to slightly take the foot off the gas. The hard work is done and now is the time to enjoy it!
I personally like to stay active, and make good choices as it's all part of my balanced 80/20 approach. However, it is important to say had we gone away for longer I most likely wouldn't have trained everyday and instead chosen to stay active by going on walks and exploring more (my favourite thing to do!).
So whatever you do this Summer, please have fun! Remember to live in the moment and make memories with the people you love.